Staffing Recruitment
Working with CINEC Education Group
Your questions answered here -

What is the working environment in China?

A popular way to live and work in China while earning a good salary is by teaching. There are opportunities for working in China if you are ambitious, resourceful and willing to make the move East. China has the second largest economy in the world behind the US, with a population of more than 1.3 billion.

Shanghai is one of the largest cities in China. It is the business and industrial hub of the country for which many multi-national companies have their Asian headquarters.

What is the cost of living in China?

The cost of living compares favorably to most industrialized countries. Although subjective in outlook, one can live comfortably and afford a lifestyle enjoying frequent restaurant meals and travelling when the schedule permits. China has excellent, yet inexpensive, public transportation and even taxi rides are quite reasonably-priced. Any traveler on a budget will love taking trains in China. Trains are numerous and increasingly high speed rail services connect large regional cities. Domestic flights are also usually inexpensive.

Do I need a work permit to work in China?

Overseas employees are required to obtain a working visa called the “Z” visa to work in China legally. The human resources department at CINEC will assist each employee in obtaining the working visa. This process is started as early as possible. Ideally, application will be approved prior to arriving in China. Subsequently, a residence permit will be issued upon arriving in China.

What are the documentations needed to work in China?

CINEC Education Group is accredited to employ foreign nationals to China. Before one can apply for a working visa, requirements as a “Foreign Expert” must be met and a certificate confirming this, together with a Chinese government-issued Letter of Invitation are obtained by CINEC on behalf of teachers. These documents are then submitted to the Chinese Visa Office along with the Chinese visa application form, passport with at least six months validity left before expiration, and a passport photo.

Is the airfare to and from China provided?

CINEC provides a round-trip economy airfare; one-way to China usually for departure on the weekend before the last week of August and one-way back within the week following the school year end in June. Flight itineraries are usually arranged by CINEC.

What does the school year look like?

School calendars for our schools are very similar to schools in Canada. Classes usually begin on the first Monday of September and end in the last week of June (see the website for a specific calendar). Teachers and instructors new to CINEC are required to be at school at least one week prior to school opening at the start of the school year.

What types of accommodations are available in China?

The majority of our teaching professionals live in apartments or on-campus. Our schools are located in areas accessible to rental housing, shops, amenities and public transportation so that whether living in your own apartment or living on-campus, you are just minutes away from commuting to and from work.

What are the expectations on extra-curricular responsibilities?

Teachers and instructors are encouraged to take the lead in providing for after-school activities in order to enhance the students’ learning of the English language, such as spearheading English Clubs, drama presentation and the like. There are numerous opportunities for coaching as well.

How important is it to attend meetings and how often are they?

Regular staff meetings are scheduled to allow staff to share information and touch base amongst colleagues regarding Program enhancement, delivery and challenges. Meetings are usually held weekly lasting for an hour, or pre-determined and arranged as frequent as necessary.

What about Professional Development?

CINEC Education Group supports professional development for our teaching staff in order to continue to strengthen teaching practice and learning. As well, CINEC provides for opportunities for collaborative learning through peer development and support.

What about holidays and travel opportunities?

CINEC tries to balance the China holidays with western holidays. As well, whenever possible, we also try to group our holidays together into longer breaks to allow teachers and students to have more time with their families and opportunities for periods to travel. As such, the expected holidays include a week in October for the fall break, Christmas and New Year’s days, three-days to a week during China’s National Day, three weeks for Chinese New Year, and a few days each for Chinese statutory holidays in March and May each year.

What kind of taxes do we need to pay?

It is important that new teachers speak to tax advisors or accountants in their home countries about tax responsibilities. Depending on which Program the teacher delivers, taxes may not be deducted and reporting of income lies with the teacher. In instances where our partner schools deduct taxes, income taxes are deducted from each month’s pay cheque.

Does a foreign teacher have diplomatic immunity?

Teachers should realize that any infraction in their own country is likely an infraction in China. One is discouraged from participating in political gatherings and should be aware that foreigners' activities may be monitored.

Back to Career with Us